10 reasons to eat Goji Berries every day
Have you heard of goji berries? They look and taste a little like cranberries but are a little less sweet, and less shiny. Goji berries are mostly grown in china but have come over to the U.S. because of their known health benefits.
- Goji Berries are high in vitamins and minerals. Goji Berries have:
- 18 kinds of amino acids – including all 8 essential amino acids, which makes goji berries a complete protein
- 21 Trace Minerals including Germanium (124 ppm), Zinc, copper and iron
- High natural content of Vitamin E
- B-Complex Vitamins
- 4 Unique Polysaccharides
- beta-sitosterol (an anti-inflammatory agent)
- linoleic acid (a fatty acid)
- sesquiterpenoids (cyperone, solavetivone)
- tetraterpenoids (zeaxanthin, physalin)
- betaine (0.1%)
- 500 times the amount of vitamin C by weight than oranges
- More Beta-Carotene than Carrots
- More Iron than spinach,
- Goji Berries can help protect your vision as you get older. (2) (3) Because of the high antioxidant content of Goji Berries, in particular zeaxanthin, studies have shown that consuming Goji Berries can help maintain the vision of older test subjects. Also, numerous studies have linked vitamin C intake to ocular health. One study demonstrated that women using vitamin C for 10 years or more experienced a 64 percent reduction in the risk of developing nuclear cataracts. Researchers estimate that half of cataract-related surgeries could be averted by delaying the onset of cataracts for 10 years. (4)
- Goji Berries are the highest form of vitamin c that you can eat. (5)
- Goji Berries are a complete protein – Goji Berries have about 4gs of protein per 1 oz. (about a handful). Goji Berries are also a complete protein, because Goji Berries contain 18 amino acids, including all eight essential amino acids.
- Goji Berries can help with serotonin production, which can make you happy. – Goji Berries are rich in Thiamin. Thiamin improves mood, alleviates depression and increases energy levels. Studies have shown that thiamin supplementation has been shown to alleviate depression symptoms. (6)
- Goji Berries can improve male sexual function. (7) (8) Several studies have shown that in male rats, goji berries can improve fertility and increase testosterone.
- Goji Berries may protect against Alzheimer’s -Studies have shown that goji berries can reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer’s in rats. (9)
- Goji Berries can help you get more sleep – Goji Berries have high levels of Magnesium, which is an essential mineral that can reduce the time it takes to fall asleep and improve the quality of sleep you are getting. Studies have shown that supplementing with magnesium can help improve insomnia symptoms especially in older people. (10)
- Goji Berries are high in beta carotene which can help make your skin look younger by reducing wrinkles, and soften skin. (11) Some skin care companies have even taken the Goji Berry to the next level and have made anti-aging face creams out of them.
- Goji berries may help with chemotherapy treatment and the reduction in tumors.(12) Germanium another nutrient found in goji berries is said to reduce the growth of tumors and has anti-cancer benefits. Another study found that of people who combines goji berry supplementation with recommended treatment had a 24% better response than those who did not supplement.(13)
Goji Berries can be a nutritious and delicious addition to your daily diet, but that doesn’t mean you should go overboard; only about an ounce a day is recommended to reap the benefits of goji berries.
The post Health Benefits of Goji Berries appeared first on .